Tuesday 4 March 2014

Numbered Musical Notation of the Songs I am Learning

Fig.1 The Red Bean Poem

Fig.2 The River Runs Red

This experience enhanced my learning process of the the Numbered Musical Notation, and because I was listening to the performances over and over again, so I get really familiar with the melody; when I finally move onto playing the songs, the notes were pretty accurate right away. Another thing I realized was this notation system is easier than staff music for sight-reading. I think this is because I encountered numbers far before I started reading Western art music, so numbers are easier to be "processed" than staff music in my brain.




Side experiment: all you readers out there, try to read these Numbered Musical Notation on an instrument that you're not familiar with, and comment below how you did, and whether you find it easier to sight-read than staff music or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment